Photo by Wesual Click on Unsplash
Muesli to go: this recipe takes your favourite muesli and transforms it into an easy to transport bread roll. Also a great way to make lunch sandwiches more exciting.
Makes: 6 rolls
Time: 20 mins prep
+ 85 mins proving
+ 30 mins baking
400g wholemeal spelt flour
150g muesli of your choice
¾ tsp salt
250ml almond/plant-based milk
1 ½ tbsp agave, maple, coconut sugar
1 cube of fresh yeast or 7g dry yeast
30g vegan margarine/butter
Cost from Good Life Refill: £1.50
1. Combine the flour, muesli and salt in large bowl. Set aside.
2. Warm the almond milk over a low heat and pour it into a separate bowl. Stir in the syrup, crumble in the yeast and stir everything gently. Cover and leave in a warm place for about ten minutes.
3. Melt the margarine in a pan and add to the flour and muesli mixture.
4. Stir the almond milk and yeast mixture once again, and then add this to the dough mixture.
5. Knead everything thoroughly to form a smooth, pliable dough – if necessary add a bit more almond milk. Cover and leave the dough to prove in a warm place for 45 minutes, until doubled in size.
6. Shape 6 rolls from the dough, make a cross incision in the top of each one, and leave to prove for a further 30 minutes.
7. Preheat the oven to 200C (400F/Gas 6). Brush the rolls with some almond milk and bake in the centre of the oven for 20-30 minutes.
8. Remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly.