Photo by Mink Mingle on Unsplash
Zesty Chia Seed Muffins
These zesty muffins will pick up your day! Amazing for sweet but nutritional breakfast, or for an afternoon treat. The orange will give them an indulgent sweetness which is rounded off perfectly by the combination of wheat and nutty spelt flours.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
50g strong white bread flour
75g plain flour
25g wholegrain spelt flour
1/2tsp bicarbonate of soda
¾ tsp baking powder
1tsp chia seeds
75g caster sugar
125g soya yogurt or other plant based yogurt
2 tbsp soya milk or other plant based milk
Juice and grated zest of two clementines or mandarins, or 1 large orange.
50g mixed peel
Cost from the Good Life Refill: £1.64
1. Preheat the oven to 180C (350F/Gas 4). Put 6 paper cases into a muffin tray.
2. Mix together the 3 types of flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, chia seeds and sugar in a bowl.
3. In another bowl, whisk the yoghurt with the milk. Stir in the juice and zest.
4. Add the yogurt mixture to the flour mixture and combine everything with a spoon, until all the ingredients are combined, and you have a smooth mixture. Add the mixed peel and stir until evenly distributed.
5. Distribute the mixture between the muffin cases so they are each around two-thirds full. Bake the muffins in the centre of the oven for around 25 minutes until golden.
6. Insert a wooden skewer, if no mixture sticks to it, the muffins are done. (Otherwise continue to cook for a couple of minutes more, then test again.)
7. Lift the muffins in their cases out of the tray and leave to cool on a wire rack.